Wednesday, November 7, 2007

On Friendliness

Jen and I were talking about how we can't even be very friendly to people here in Honduras unless it's in a certain context. The bus to our neighborhood didn't come after waiting for 30 minutes following coffee, so we decided to take a taxi. Our taxi driver was younger and really nice, and I wanted to ask him how his day was, but I didn't. We have learned to be somewhat guarded here because of security. It's a shame, really, but also a reality. I want to be able to smile at people , but the only people I feel that I can smile at here are women and children, unless I'm at church or at school. It's too risky to give any attention (even eye contact) to males here. We already get comments for being gringas. Maybe this is just me overreacting, but I don't think so. It goes against my nature to avoid eye contact with people, but it's just something I've had to adjust to while being here.

No comments: