Tuesday, November 6, 2007

"Cold" Honduran weather

Interesting cultural tidbit from today:
It was about 63 degrees today and everyone was freezing. Granted, it was raining and windy, so I was chilled a few times myself. However, it's really funny to hear Hondurans complaining about this being such cold weather. Several people today were wearing small gloves and hats.

Also, both Jenna and I got our hair cut over the weekend. My kids responded by saying, "Ay, Miss, you look so beautiful" or "Wow, you cut your hair!" I wore my glasses today, and one of my students said to me, "Miss, you are making so many changes!" Jenna's kindergarteners, on the other hand, told her that she looked like an abuela (grandma). Maybe because her hair is short and curly? Who knows, but I think her hair looks pretty cute.

Also, maids here don't get much say in things. One of my students said that her parents were gone so they could not sign her assignment notebook. I told her to have the maid sign it, but she said "she does not have a signature." From what I understand, maids really don't have a signature, because it is a sign of status or something that defines you.

The Honduran teachers' office is right by our classroom, so today the music teacher invited me to come and grade papers in their office. That was really nice of her, and as a result, I was introduced to more of the Honduran faculty. I really enjoyed it, as I was the only "gringa" in the room and got to speak in Spanish a little.

4 comments:

Josué Greenman said...

Photos of the change?

Josué Greenman said...

I enjoy reading your blog...it is really interesting and you update it on a regular basis. I'm going to Lithuania in February and will return to the States in June (classes get out in May though). I'll be staying in the States for a week or so before heading down to Argentina and then be back in August for class.

Anonymous said...

I am from California and i will be going to Honduras to work at an Orphange. I don't leave until Oct but I was wondering, and this is my greatest fear, what kind of insects do you run into there? More importantly, what are the spiders like?

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!