Monday, November 12, 2007

Long Day!

Today seemed so long - other teachers even commented about it.

I taught Math, Reading, Social Studies, Grammar, and Writing today. No wonder I'm tired! Writing, Reading, and Grammar weren't that involved, but still..... I guess that's a record for me ! I only (at most) had to teach 4 subjects a day.

I don't know what to do with my students... they have so much more potential than they show. This whole morning I was pulling teeth to get them to understand the lessons. Math was SO long because they weren't understanding how to make improper fractions into mixed numbers and visa versa. I guess it's kind of a difficult concept. I'm worried, though, because they haven't had much practice with it, and their test is Wednesday. Test on Wednesday = review tomorrow = bad scores on the test! I wish we could put off the test for another day.

Another thing that's frustrating is that they don't follow directions! I have kids who get 50% on their homework because they didn't follow directions, even when it's clear that they understand the concept. I don' t know if they're just not understanding the directions because of being ESL students, but it's a horrible problem. My class is really immature, too, so that contributes to everything.

I have a ton to do tonight....this is the part of teaching I don't like. I guess it's reality, though, so I'd better get on it!

No comments: