Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Another Long Day...

My students have been crazy this week... I'm sure what's "eating them" but it's really taxing on me! Maybe it's because I'm teaching full-time, so that's a change for them. One student told me today that she likes it when Miss Schmitkons teaches better when I teach. Wow, the guts of that girl! Really, I'm not completely surprised that she said that today, because frankly, I was constantly "on" the students today for talking and inappropriate behavior. If I had two teachers, and one was being "stern," I would definitely prefer the other teacher, too! It's a kid comment to say.

There are so many cultural things telling them that it's ok to talk when others are talking.... Many of the American teachers here battle with these things all of the time. I just hope they get better before Friday, when my teacher will be gone at a conference. Please, kids, don't be horrific for me! It's so frustrating.... At least my cooperating teacher was frustrated, too.

On a positive note, we're having a faculty Thanksgiving dinner on Friday afternoon. Should be fun??

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do for Thanksgiving break. Hopefully that will be settled soon. I'll probably be going to either Nicaragua or Belize. I still want to see my family's Compassion child in Santa Rosa de Copan, but Compassion told me it would cost $200 to bring him to Tegus! No thank you... I need to pray that another option opens up (basically, that someone would want to go to Santa Rosa de Copan with me).

1 comment:

Josué Greenman said...

I comment a lot...but I can't help it. I know how Latin American classrooms can be like. I was in one until 7th grade! I was the worst...talking during class, running out, everything bad. Don't give up Christy! If you aren't "mean" (which isn't the same as being strict) you will win your students and they will love you. That doesn't mean that they still won't be rascals... ;)