Saturday, December 1, 2007

Party!

I went to one of my student's birthday parties this afternoon. Inviting teachers to birthday parties is a normal occurance here in Honduras - until about 6th grade, that is. It was from 3-6pm at the ONLY bowling alley in Tegus - MetroBowl. Bowling is "boliche" in Spanish. I had to get her a birthday gift. I left the house with 300 Lemps (15 dollars), but unfortunately I had miscalculated how much I would need. I wanted to get her a gift for 200L, which would've left me with 100L for transportation. Clearly I didn't think that through enough. So, after spending 60L on my first leg of the trip (to the mall), I realized that my gift was going to be quite small. The gift cost 90L (a small notebook, pencils, stickers, and bag...kind of an embarassingly small gift, really), leaving me with 210L for transportation. I needed almost all of it.

The party was fun. Rebeca told me who she liked!, we bowled (I did horribly), ate pizza, cake, and I talked with the other 5th graders there.

Honduran/Latin American tradition: the birthday boy or girl takes a bite of the entire cake. When this is being done, friends and/or family push the person's face in the cake. Rebeca wanted this to be done to her, so there was a face imprint in the cake afterwards! Kind of fun!

Oh! The theme was High School Musical 2. I have a bracelet, a cup, and some random goodies now. The bracelets were shipped from the U.S. Crazy.

My goal is to finish planning math tonight (actually, I don't really have a choice in the matter) and hopefully, I'll have enough done so that tomorrow I can go to the soccer game between two Honduran teams. Yeah!

Also, I went to a SYMPHONY concert last night! That's right.... there is maybe one symphony concert a year in Tegus and I went! It was free and took place in a Basilica in El Centro (the "center" of Tegus). It was a holiday concert and was really good! The local university sponsored it. It was an orchestra and a choir. They sang Christmas carols in Spanish, as well as typical songs composed by LeRoy Anderson. Overall, it was wonderful to hear good music again (instead of Reggaton or random 80's songs which are always heard here)

No comments: