Monday, December 3, 2007

Sad Soccer Story

Am I lesson planning again? Yup, you guessed it! However, it is nice to only have 2 lessons to plan daily. I'm so pumped, because MATH IS PLANNED UNTIL FRIDAY!!! Technically, that was supposed to happen every week (have the next week planned in advance), but this is the first week it's actually happened.

For a little bit of Honduran life:
Yesterday at the futbol game I saw something that really bothered me and tapped on my heart and my head in a way that I haven't experienced yet in Honduras.

For the "quick" version (anyone who knows me well will know that my "quick" will....well... not be so quick; but, I'll try), I noticed a young boy, of 12-14 years, sitting a few rows in front of me in the stadium. He was so skinny and looked really malnourished. I also noted that he seemed to be sniffing something. "It's probably glue," I thought.

Then, he proceeded to "help" some men sitting beside him. He took their wide twine, pulled it apart into small pieces, then proceeded to place it in his seemingly-empty Coke bottle. When he pulled out the twine-like-material, it was damp. He gave the material to the men, and they proceeded to sit back and "discreetly" sniff the material. I have no idea what the material or the liquid was, but this situation evoked several emotions in me:

-I was saddened that the boy was selling this "substance" at such a young age
-I was angry at the men for using the boy in this way

And then, after Olympia (the team from Tegus) scored a goal, everyone was going crazy, except for the Americans (us), who weren't so loyal to any team. The men started laughing at us, mainly at me, because I was just sitting there, while the rest of the stadium was extatic. Call me stern, or cold, or whatever, but I refused to look at those men who had so evily used the boy for their own pleasure.

Then I realized that there are probably so many kids in Honduras being used this way and in other inhumane ways - in order to stay alive and to give pleasure to other people. Que horrible.

1 comment:

Josué Greenman said...

Christy, I'm going to have to disagree with you. The little kid could either beg and eat trash, or live the American dream. By selling his product he will be able to use that money to buy more of his product and thus increasing the amount of money that can make in the future. Who knows? He may be able to start his own little business and have his friends sell whatever it is that he sells.