Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Random Cultural Thoughts

On Music
Music in Honduras is not the typical Latin American deal. Instead of Ranchera music or Latin pop, Reggaeton is what's usually played. Daddy Yankee is one of the popular singers. So, when one is riding the city bus, a taxi, a colectivo, or is just walking in the street, the music that will be played is Reggaeton. Although it's definitely not my favorite type of music, I have come to appreciate it enough so that I might even miss not hearing it in the States!

On Restaurants
There are many fast-food places in Tegucigalpa. McDonald's, KFC, Duncan Donuts, TCBY, Little Caesars, and Pizza Hut are all places frequented by Hondurans. However, I have actually been surprised to learn that there are only 5 McDonald's in Tegus; thus, not many Hondurans eat at McDonald's. These restaurants came to Honduras following Hurricane Mitch in 1998. Apparently, the Honduran government wanted to boost up foreign investment in Honduras, so it gave foreign businesses a tax break to establish their business here. Interesting.

On Zoos
There is one zoo in Tegus, and it is very interesting. There are some "normal" zoo animals, such as peacocks, crocodiles, and monkeys. One "abnormal" thing about the monkeys: they are not all in their cages, but many walk on the outside of the cages, roaming freely. It was the closest I've ever been to a monkey before! The zoo also had some "abnormal" American zoo animals. Raccoons, ducks, and guinea pigs were all caged! I guess they're not frequently seen here, so that makes them more interesting.

On Water
Drinking water is always purified. Brushing teeth with the normal water is fine. The faucets here have intrigued me. The conclusion I have made is that only ONE faucet works on every sink. It's not always the same faucet. I don't know why, but that's the way things are. The water is always cool. So, for washing dishes, we use a strong soap to kill the bacteria and germs. We have a special hot-water-creater for the shower, so that's actually warm. The water in the washing machine is strongest in the morning. By the afternoon, it's a small trickle.

On Police
I haven't totally figured out my opinion of Honduran security personnel. However, I DO know that I have heard many stories of corrupt police (you can pay them if you get in an accident or get pulled over). Also, I know that my view of them does not escalate when they give a group of American females the stare-down, whistles, or say "piropos" to them.

*Piropos are pick-up lines, but when they're not used properly, they can be derogatory.
Ex. We frequently hear "mi amor" (my love) whispered as we walk by.

On Health Services
*Warning* If you are poor, never get seriously sick in Honduras.
Health services in Honduras are not good. I learned this from going to Hospital Escuela and seeing the conditions there. I learned this after only seeing a few ambulances (in a city of 1 million people) during my 2 months here. I learned this from talking with missionaries who told me that even if a ambulance does come, it will most likely take forever. People who actually want the guarantee of good medical service have to pay a company monthly, so that in the event that something does happen, a private ambulance will pick them up. What happened to valuing the sanctity of life?

On Honduran Culture
From what I've observed, Honduras does not have much of its own culture. There are very few - if any at all - famous singers, athletes, musicians, artists, or writers - from Honduras. Yes, there are the traditional Latin American artisans. However, there are no currently famous Hondurans who can act as a representative for the country. A lot of this, I have heard and tend to believe, is a cause of the American presence in Honduras. For more than 100 years, America has invested in Honduras, originally because of placing the Dole banana plantations on the North shore of Honduras. Now, America continues to invest in Honduras. Possibly the largest investment comes through Hondurans (in the US) sending money back to the "home country." El Salvador changed its currency to the US dollar, because there were more US dollars in the country than their national currency.

On Work
It doesn't surprise me that many Hondurans (around 20%??) don't make more than $1 a day. They sell produce, used shoes, clothing, or jewelry. I don't blame them for selling these things - I would, too - but Who is shopping?
There has got to be a better way.

On Work Ethic
This may be a contradiction to what I just said above, but in general, Hondurans do not demonstrate the highest work ethic. Although El Salvador is a poor country, it is known for its strong work ethic. This, according to a Honduran, allows the country to make more money each year. Sometimes, taxi drivers here will refuse to take you, because you refuse to pay a ridiculous price for their services. In reality, if they would take the job (even if it didn't pay a ton) they would earn more money, because they wouldn't just be sitting idly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Nowadays, I feel good, I begin take up real money.
It gets down to select a proper companion who utilizes your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the profit with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]