Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Wednesday

Just a few random thoughts:
Bananas are really cheap (maybe 10 cents a pound?). Rice, beans, and tortillas are also really cheap. Produce is reasonable. Everything else is pretty much close to prices in the States.

I'm going to Lagos (the largest lake in Honduras) this weekend with International School staff. It should be enjoyable. I've heard it's beautiful. I brought an underwater camera, so hopefully I'll get some good shots.

I went to a cookout tonight at the Gigante House (it's really huge). It was really fun and was a great group of people. We had burgers, pasta salad, and amazing oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. A taste of home. We ate all of this and shared riddles on the house patio (almost on the top of the house). It faces the city and has a GORGEOUS view. Tegus at night looks so peaceful (although I'm sure that is anything but true). It was picturesque.

I went to Duncan Donuts with Jen Walsh and it was a splended time. We rode the city bus, which was an experience, and made it to Duncan Donuts. The cashiers thought we were rude Americans, but there was a very generous man behind us who paid 2 lempiras for each of us (toward our bill). We tried to get our money out, but he paid for us while he played with his daughter. It was very nice and unexpected. I wanted to talk with Jen about her experience at the school last year and talk about how she adjusted to the cultural things here in Tegus. I really appreciated her advice, as well as her generousity in giving up a few hours of her time.

I received my first "Hola gringas" of my time here. In addition to that, I received a few inappropriate stares. Welcome to Latin America!

Now I must write a journal entry and try to plan a bit for grammar next week. I'm trying to fight my cynical and pessimistic nature which so easily creeps in when I'm in a new and semi-uncomfortable situation.

No comments: