Wednesday, October 31, 2007

My warmest Halloween yet - at least 80 degrees!

Another random post:

Hormigas (ants) here in Honduras bite. I found that out after I received a lot itchy bumps on my foot on Saturday. The kids at the waterfall taught me how stomp my foot so the hormigas leave your feet. They itch a LOT!!!

I went running this afternoon with Laura (a TU grad)and Ben (a Hope grad). It was good - and challenging! There are a lot of hills here. I promise that I will post pictures sometime in the near future - as soon as I take them! I knew that I needed to "decompress" from the day.

Today was encouraging, yet challenging, because the kids were SO talkative. I had a really good meeting with my supervisor here, the director of curriculum, and she encouraged me, like I had learned in my last placement, to set high expectations for the students in my class. If I set high expectations, the students will know exactly how to behave when I am teaching. It will make my job much easier, and the kids will glean more from the teaching, also.

I'm taking over more things next week. That will be good, because I get kind of bored during the school day. I'm sick of sitting in the back, although that's clearly an easy thing to do. I'm also not really looking forward to a lot of work to do, but I don't think things here will be nearly as hard as my last placement, so I will be fine. I like sleep, though, so I don't really look forward to more difficult times. Asi es la vida.

I couldn't figure out a title for this post, until I realized that it is Halloween. Halloween here is considered to be demonic. The kids say things like, "Miss....those boys were saying that it's Halloween tomorrow, and Halloween is bad..."

That's pretty much it for today. Happy Halloween to all!

No comments: