Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Second Day

As you can see by my many postings already, I haven't had too much work to do. However, the work will probably be picking up, as I gave my teacher permission today to give me whatever she needs to get done. Because of this statement, I have to grade tonight :-(. Boo, back to grading. Oh well. I know it's part of the job, so I want to be doing what is included in the job. It amazes me how relaxed the teachers are here. Tonight they're going to a dollar movie. I would've gone, but I really should start planning my math unit.

We have 1/2 days this week, so that's good, I guess. Because I don't have a lot to work on yet, it just means that I have to stay at school and find things to do. It's more relaxed, though, so that's good.

A lot of girls go to Salsa Aerobics every day. It's around $2 each time, so I think I might go sometime in the near future.

My kids are working on a research paper about hunger - the causes, effects, statistics, etc. Very interesting. I think they're mostly like Americans, because they have no concept of how much they are blessed with material goods.

I spoke with the custodian today about Honduran culture. She said that work is always "duro" or hard. She had 2 uncles die this past week, and because they had to be buried so quickly (because the bodies aren't preserved like in the States), she wasn't able to go to the burial. She also told me about how some of her friends have entered the U.S. illegally and how she considered it, too. For awhile, she wanted to move to Spain so her kids could be educated well. Interesting, for sure. I caught most of what she was saying, but not all of the details.

That's about it for now. I must begin on work, which I am not so thrilled to do. It's been a little difficult to adjust, because I was loving my other class so much. It's hard to be at the "learning stage" again, and to not feel totally comfortable with things. Learning a ton of new things is not always welcoming when you've just become acustomed to feeling comfortable with things. I guess that's how most of life is, though.

Christy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember: LTC. NO dancing.