Monday, October 22, 2007

First Day of School

The day started off with a BANG! Fortunately not a real bang, although a gun shot might not be out of the question in Honduras...however, my alarm clock did not go off! i meant to wake up at 5:30, but instead woke up at 6:10. Therefore, I had 30 minutes to get up, get my stuff together, shower, eat breakfast, and be out the door. It worked, actually. I won't plan on regularly doing that!

It gets light early and dark early here, so the sun is usually up for 12 hours - from 5:30am - 5:30pm.

I have 26 students - all of whom are adorable. Two of them are a combination of Honduran and Asian. The rest are all Honduran. They call the teachers "Miss" in a cute accent, and they usually leave out the last name. They all have fun accents and still struggle with english. Essentially, they're all ESL students. The main difference between school here and the states is that Honduran kids talk SO MUCH! They talk when the teacher is talking, and that's not really considered to be rude. It might be quiet when kids are working individually, but as soon as someone starts talking (including the teacher), the students' mouths begin moving, too! That's probably going to be my biggest management challenge, which isn't too bad.

I have to go - I just bought 10 small tortillas from the "tortilla man" outside of our house for 25 cents! (5 Lempiras) and now I'm going grocery shopping. It should be interesting! (like most things here!)

Hasta luego,
Christy

No comments: